The event will consist of an afternoon session on the question of how the EU telecom industry can create long term-value in Europe with our distinguished speakers:
- Mr Anthony Whelan, Member of the Cabinet of President Von der Leyen, European Commission;
- Ms Eva Kaili MEP (S&D/GR), Committee on Industry, Research and Energy – ITRE, European Parliament;
- Ms Cecilia Bonefeld-Dahl, Director General, DIGITALEUROPE;
- Dr Andrea Renda, Senior Research Fellow and Head of Global Governance, Regulation, Innovation and the Digital Economy, CEPS;
- Ms Nawar Cristini Equity Analyst, Morgan Stanley;
- Mr Ramon Fernandez, Delegate CEO, Finance, Performance and Development, Orange.
The event will be moderated by Matthew Newman, Chief Correspondent, MLex
This is a public event hence it will not be held under the Chatham House Rule.
This event is co-organised with
About the debate
The aim of the event is to have an exchange of views on whether and how the European telecommunications sector can create long-term value within the EU.
The digitalisation of the EU is on its way and will hugely contribute to the various recovery plans currently under definition at national level since 20% of the amount should be devoted to digital projects. This is essential to ensure the EU recovery as well as to keep pace at global level and remain competitive. In addition, the EU has adopted ambitious targets in its 2021 Digital Compass.
EU telecom operators are currently actively speeding up the transition to 5G and fibre networks while facing a difficult economic context. At the same time, estimates show that €300bn investment is still needed to achieve full gigabit connectivity.
In this context, the event will touch upon several crucial aspects of the EU digital transformation process, such as and among others: which regulatory approaches and investment policy are needed to support private investment into networks and new business models, how to unlock innovation and foster new EU technological solutions (for instance, on cloud or network evolution), as well as the challenges and the opportunities of the green transition.
The event will commence at 16.00 and it will last until about 18.00
The dicussion will be held in streaming.
The audience will be able to ask questions during both the discussion and the Q&A session through sli.do #DigitalDecade
We look forward to hosting you at 16.00 on the 28th of September