Questions and answers
Delivering on its Digital Single Market strategy, the Commission today adopted a set of initiatives and legislative proposals to place the EU at the forefront of internet connectivity, a pre-condition for the Digital Single Market to thrive.
As part of today’s connectivity package, the Commission proposed:
– a set of new, non-binding connectivity targets for a competitive Digital Single Market by 2025;
– a new European Electronic Communications Code which merges four existing telecoms Directives (Framework, Authorisation, Access and Universal Service Directive);
– an updated Regulation on the Body of European Regulators of Electronic Communications (BEREC);
– a Regulation to support local communities in providing free public Wi-Fi to their citizens;
– an Action Plan to deploy 5G in the EU.