Communications & Policy – Winter Call
Deadline for applications: 21st of January 2023 at 12.00pm CET
PubAffairs Bruxelles (www.pubaffairsbruxelles.eu), is a non-profit, non-partisan and membership-based organisation whose main aim is to foster understanding, transparency and participation in the work of the European Union. PubAffairs Bruxelles is an open platform for debate and information exchange, as well as for the development of ideas among its members and followers with an established diverse community.
The fellowship aims at giving recent graduates and young professionals, with an EU policy and communications background, the opportunity to gain a hands-on experience in public policy monitoring, communication outreach and public relations through a one-year fellowship.
The fellowship is meant to lead to a permanent contract
The Fellow will be part of a small and dynamic team and will have the chance to be involved at the forefront of the work of the organisation in order for her/him to take on increasingly more responsibilities and tasks.
It is essential that applicants have very good academic records and a thorough knowledge of both the EU institutions policy-making process, a good knowledge of current policy mainstreams, be social media and web savvy and ready to engage with current and potential partners and supporters.
A very good knowledge of the EU decision-making process is essential in order analyse and to keep track of EU policy dossiers of interest to Pubaffairs.
In addition, the fellow must possess excellent English written and communication skills, have language accuracy, be passionate about communications work, partnership building and have a keen attention to detail.
Native or nearly native knowledge of German is highly desirable.
The candidate is supposed to swiftly take on the tasks assigned and work in a flexible and fast-paced environment, both individually and as a team. S/he will work as an “EU Public Policy Assistant” under the direct supervision of both the Communication Director and the President of PubAffairs Bruxelles.
Tasks will include:
- Monitoring EU policies of interest to PubAffairs;
- Contributing to the maintenance and development of PubAffairs communications activities, including expanding our social media outreach;
- Applying sound policy analysis skills and understanding current and future issues emerging from both the EU institutional setting and the international context;
- Engaging with current and potential partners and supporters in order to maintain and further expand PubAffairs event series;
- Producing ad hoc research, background notes and/or presentations on relevant subjects debated within and around EU Institutions;
- Drafting documents, briefing notes and/or minutes for internal and external use;
- Assisting in the organisation of events and meetings, as well as in other PR tasks;
- Some administrative tasks may also be part of the job.
- Graduate or recent graduate in European Studies, Political Sciences or any other EU-related field. Purely communications backgrounds are taken into consideration only in connection with EU-related subjects or if connected to previous EU policy making-related experiences;
- Excellent analytical, written, communication and diplomatic skills;
- Hard-working and willing to achieve results;
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team;
- Proactive, problem solver with a positive attitude and sense of humour;
- Native or nearly-native English language skills.
- Native or nearly native knowledge of German.
- Previous experience in communicating and/or monitoring EU policies;
- Previous experience in a/some EU sectorial policy/policies;
- Native or nearly native French or, other EU languages may also be an asset;
- Previous experiences within any EU institution are naturally welcome, but not indispensable.
Applicants must already have the right to live and work in the European Union.
What we offer:
- 6 + 6 months paid work experience under Belgian law (Contrat d’Immersion Professionel), with a mandatory review after the first 6 months within a well-growing organisation;
- Valuable working and/or apprenticeship experience in a dynamic environment;
- The possibility of expanding knowledge and/or operational expertise in the domains of EU public policy and communications;
- The chance of gaining a permanent position at the end of the Fellowship period.
Candidates are supposed to start as soon as possible.
Your application will be reviewed after the deadline which is set on Saturday, 21st of January 2023 at 12.00pm CET
How to apply
If you are interested in this position and you are willing and able to start as soon as possible, please send your CV (max. 2 pages) and motivation letter (max. 1 page) in .pdf format to the following address: email@example.com
Please remember to:
- Write “Surname Name – CV/ML” in both the CV and the motivation letter .pdf files.
- Write your “Surname Name – JPF – Comms & Policy – Winter Call” in the subject line of the email in which you will include in its core your current address of residence and your contact details.