Civilian CSDP Compact 2021: Council adopts conclusions
The Council today adopted conclusions on the Civilian CSDP Compact reaffirming its commitment to strengthen the civilian branch of the Common Security and Defence Policy.
The conclusions highlight the key contribution made by all civilian CSDP missions to international peace and security as an essential part of the EU’s integrated approach to external conflicts and crises, and underline the contribution that civilian CSDP can deliver in responding to new and emerging threats and challenges.
The Council commends the positive overall progress made in implementing the Compact over the course of 2019, both at national level by the member states, including through the creation of the European Centre of Excellence for Civilian Crisis Management, and at EU level by the EEAS and Commission services.
The Council conclusions welcome the outcome of the second Annual Review Conference (ARC) of the Civilian CSDP Compact that took place on 23 November 2020 and committed to fully deliver on the Compact by early summer 2023 at the latest. The Council endorsed the waypoints identified at the ARC, which will guide the implementation of the Compact in 2021.
The Compact was established following conclusions adopted by member states at the Foreign Affairs Council meeting on 19 November 2018. Through the Compact the EU intends to strengthen its capacity to deploy and sustain civilian crisis management missions. These missions aim to reinforce the police, the rule of law and the civil administration in fragile and conflict settings.
The first ARC of the Civilian CSDP Compact was held on 14 November 2019 in Brussels.
The EU has currently 11 ongoing civilian missions, in Ukraine, Georgia, Kosovo*, Libya, the Palestinian Territories (Ramallah and Rafah), the Central African Republic, Niger, Mali, Somalia and Iraq.
* – This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
- Council Conclusions on Civilian CSDP Compact, 7 December 2020
- Conclusions of the Council and of the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States, meeting within the Council, on the establishment of a Civilian CSDP Compact, 19 November 2020
- Civilian CSDP Compact: Council adopts conclusions, 9 December 2019
- The Common Security and Defence Policy (EEAS Website)