€1.5 million from European Globalisation Adjustment Fund to support dismissed workers in Greece
Today, the European Commission proposes to support 206 workers made redundant in businesses producing household appliances in Attica, Greece, with €1.5 million from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund for Displaced Workers (EGF). The funding will help these people find new jobs through tailored guidance and advice, training and support to start their own business. Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights, Nicolas Schmit, said: “With today’s proposal, the EU is actively helping more than 200 workers who have lost their jobs in Attica, Greece. With €1.5 million of financial assistance from the European Globalisation Fund, we can help them find their way back into the labour market through training and education programmes, job search advice and support to set up their own business.” The support to the dismissed workers includes advisory services and individual job search assistance; training in digital skills and tailored vocational training, leading to a certification, where possible, or support to obtain higher education qualifications. Participants can also receive advice on how to start their own business coupled with a start-up grant of up to €22,000. The support includes allowances for the dismissed workers to participate in these measures. The total estimated cost of these measures is about €1.8 million, of which the EGF will cover 85% (€1.5 million). The Public Investment Programme of the Greek Ministry of Economy and Development will finance the remaining 15%. Support to the eligible workers will start once the funding is approved by the European Parliament and the Council. A press release is available online.